|EDITING • WRITING • LEXICOGRAPHY •
WRITING TEACHING & SEMINARS
"Mr. Cohen’s work reflected not only a mastery of grammar and diction but a
judicious sense of style and appropriateness. . . . He knew when to be tough on my manuscript and when to
tactfully and intelligently query — in my experience, an uncommon editorial gift."
— Dr. William Epstein, UNITAR;
author, The Last Chance: Nuclear Proliferation and Arms Control
OVER 25 YEARS’ EDITING — from polishing to rewriting:
- scholarly, general-interest
(trade), & reference books
- public policy, think tank, & non-profit organization books / reports / journals / newsletters
- general- & special-interest magazine articles
- for individual authors: articles & books / theses & dissertations / memoirs
Urban Affairs & Public Policy • History & International Relations •
Government & Social Sciences • Public Health & the Environment • Medical Ethics • Psychology & Education • Media &
Communications • Management & Business Administration • Language Arts • Music • Judaica & Religion • Baseball
+ Dictionaries &
Encyclopedias • Biographies & Memoirs
for: The Free Press / Macmillan / Schirmer Books / Random House / Fordham University Press / Oxford University Press / Rockefeller Institute of Government (State University of NY) / The Urban Institute / The Century Foundation (orig. Twentieth Century Fund) / Facts on File / Pfizer Laboratories
For books edited by Robert Cohen, click here.
and for: Abt Associates
(Cambridge, MA) / Boston Medical Center /
Boston Research Center for the 21st Century / Community Development Research Center
(New School University) /
Council on Foreign Relations / Crown Center for Middle East Studies (Brandeis
University) / IPPNW (International Physicians for the
Prevention of Nuclear War, Cambridge, MA) / MDRC
(orig. Manpower Demonstration Research Corporation, NYC)
/ NYSEPH (New York Milton H. Erickson Society for
Psychotherapy and Hypnosis)
DEPTH EDITOR: Skilled at querying & revising problem manuscripts — for organization / transitions / wordiness • Expert at making the writing of academics & scholars accessible & appealing to a general audience • Ruthless in probing for clarity & logic • Finely tuned ear for the sound of good, clear, persuasive prose. For “How I Edit,” click here.
RELATED SKILLS: Copy & substantive (line) editing (on-line or hard copy) • advisory & developmental editing • rewriting • fact-checking & research • proofreading • interviewing. For Services Offered, click here.
Published & Contract WRITER:
- for NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS: speeches / statements of purpose / monographs (Community Development Research Center, New School University; Boston Research Center for the 21st Century; National Council of Jewish Women; Hadassah)
- for NATIONAL MAGAZINES & NEWSPAPERS: essays, feature stories, profiles, reviews (Columbia/Moment/Hadassah/New Age Journal/Utne Reader/New York Newsday/Jerusalem Post). American Jewish Press Association, Simon Rockower Award, Excellence in Arts and Criticism, 1994.
- of A-V & educational scripts (Pearson School Technology) / of social studies curriculum materials (NYC Board of Education)
- of CD LINER NOTES (Open the Gates! New American-Jewish Music for Prayer, Vol. 1) / for RADIO (“One People, Many Voices: American-Jewish Music Comes of Age” [documentary], National Public Radio)
- of public opinion letters: New York Times/Wall Street Journal/Washington Post/Boston Globe/New England Journal of Medicine/The Atlantic/The New Yorker/The New Republic/The Village Voice/Newsday
For work written by Robert Cohen, click here.
- LEXICOGRAPHER: wrote and edited definitions for Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Random House Legal Dictionary, Chambers Encyclopedic English Dictionary, others
- COPYWRITER: sales & promotional copy for Pfizer Laboratories, non-profit org’s, and individual clients / catalog copy for Behrman House and Elderhostel, Inc. / radio continuity & commercials
- Novelty writer: trivia questions for Milton Bradley’s Stage II game
- At Hadassah and Family Practice Recertification (generalist medical magazine), conceived, assigned, developed, and edited articles on popular culture & the arts / history & politics / family life / health & medicine / medical education
- Also edited articles for Boston College Magazine, Present Tense, and other magazines and for individual authors
LANGUAGE ARTS TEACHER:
Available for Writing Coaching, Seminars, & Workshops.
- TAUGHT ENGLISH & WRITING TO ADULTS (Local 237, Teamsters Union, NYC)
- created original Language Arts curriculum materials; edited Language Arts workbooks (Sadlier-Oxford) and created original examples
- studied ESL (TESOL/TEFL) teaching at New School University, NYC
- motivated, coached, and worked with individual authors — esp. beginning and first-time authors and memoirists — to improve their style and skills
“The Crown Center's international reputation has benefited greatly from its association with you. Our authors always agree that your editing skills are superb! Many thanks for all that you do.”
— Kristina Cherniahivsky, Associate Director, Crown Center for Middle East Studies
“Mr. Cohen brings a real sense of shape, style and flow to his work on a manuscript, invariably improving both a text’s grace and its capacity to tell a story. He is respectful of an author’s prerogatives, while at the same time being firm in his views and advice.”
— Dr. Gerald Benjamin, Director, Center for Research, Regional Education and Outreach, SUNY New Paltz;
coauthor, Regionalism and Realism
“You have a special gift for transforming private thoughts and experiences into an article that will communicate to large audiences."
— Dr. Robert C. Cassidy, Director of Bioethics and Social
“It is clear that your editor read the manuscript with sharp intelligence and caught things that needed to be changed or clarified. Please relay my thanks.”
— Dr. Carolyn Tuohy, School of Public Policy and Governance, University of Toronto
COLLABORATOR & PROBLEM-SOLVER:
- accomplished INTERVIEWER: created Q&A features with artists and scholars for Boston College Magazine; articles & sidebars based on interviews with specialists for medical magazine; interviewed writers/artists/musicians/ broadcasters/scholars for my New School University classes (NYC) / on The Eternal Light (NBC Radio) and over 100 other radio programs; guest on the Leonard Lopate Show (WNYC, NYC public radio) and other radio programs
- experienced PRODUCTION COORDINATOR (scheduling/trafficking/trouble-shooting/liaison): managed 60-journal science publishing program for Plenum Publishing
- quick study • well-organized • detail-conscious • analytical intelligence (mathematics and philosophy training at Cornell) • eclectic curiosity and interests
|For my MUSIC site, with information on my American and Jewish music lectures and radio programs; my CD, Open the Gates! and “Notes from a Musical Autobiography,” click here.
||^ to top of page